Graboid Community

Graboid repeatedly stalls and closes - JavaScript problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graboid Community Forum Index -> PC Tech Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mjockel

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 10:11 pm    Post subject: Graboid repeatedly stalls and closes - JavaScript problem Reply with quote

I'm using version 5.3.1 on a desktop running Windows 8.1, and on a laptop and desktop running Windows 10. On all 3 Graboid stalls on each page, pop-ups state a JavaScript problem - app-core.graboid.bb, and at some point closes because of an unidentified problem.

This has been going on for a while, and getting worse. I've tried removing and reinstalling, and tried a few earlier versions. A few weeks ago Graboid surprised me by working smoothly for about 10 minutes, then back to the JavaScript problem and sudden closing.

If anyone can help without getting too technical (I'm not a programmer) I'd appreciate it.

Thanks.
kshutch
Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A)

Can you describe your internet connection type and speeds?

More info: Are you on a DSL, SAT, CABLE, OTHER (please explain if other) and what is your speedtest showing at speedtest.net (the ping and the download/upload speed)?

B)

How many files are in your completed folder?

Please look at both A and B and let me know the answer to each.
mjockel

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mostly use the desktop running Windows 8.1. I have a Cable connection, via an ethernet cable. Speedtest results: Ping-11 Download-210.92 Upload-20.51

I had a bunch of completed files and moved them to another folder, which seemed to help improve the speed of loading new pages, but I still get the JavaScript error and the "Graboid.exe has stopped working" pop-up.
kshutch
Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The three errors that have caused this in the past that I can remember:

1) More than 3000-4000 files in the completed folder. This would cause the script to hang because it was trying to load all of those files into the completed section interface. But, on worse connections, this number could theoretically decrease.

2) A bad connection. A user had line-of-sight Internet that would test OK at times, but would constantly created unresponsive, failed, js errors, and would not let them pause.

3) A flagged or saved search file had a character in its title that would stall the script.

Your speeds, I am assuming are 210 mb/s and 20.51 mb/s are very fast and shoould not be the issue. If those speeds are 210.92 kb/s and 20.51 kb/s, then that is not good at all.

Cable connections are not something I would imagine causing a bad connection, they are usually fairly consistent.

But, since you have seen this on all of your machines, the biggest areas of concern to me would be your account data (filters, saved searches, flagged) having some bad character, or there is a problem in your connection either at the local router or the ISP.

Since you said it worked smoothly for a bit, that really starts to point this being a connection issue.

But, since its not exactly apparent, I would turn off my computers and unplug my modem and router, wait a few minutes, then plug them back up and turn the computer back on.

If that is not helping, are you using the same anti virus system on each machine? IF so, try it with that turned off, but turn it back on after.

If none of this is working, you run the graboid_console to create a log of what is going on, but its not always super helpful. Let me know how its going and if you need to run grbaoid with a log or not.
mjockel

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I deleted all my flags, which I had been using to mark what I had already scrolled through each time I ran Graboid. There were a LOT of flags! Apparently that was what was causing the slowness and JavaScript problems, as Graboid now seems to be working OK.

Thanks for your help!
kshutch
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome.

I think the saved searches limit was around 70 saved searches. I have never heard of or did any testing for flagged amounts though. I wonder if it also is at around 70 before it starts having issues.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graboid Community Forum Index -> PC Tech Support All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: